Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) services
A foreign national, - (i) who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26th January, 1950; or (ii) who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26th January, 1950; or (iii) who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947; or (iv) who is a child or a grandchild or a great grandchild of such a citizen; or (v) who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above; or (vi) who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India - is eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. Besides, spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application is also eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. However, no person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder. Foreign Military/ Police Personnel either serving or retired will not be registered as OCI Cardholder with an exception to Israeli citizens.
Procedure for submission of application for registration as OCI Cardholder
Any eligible person can submit an application for registration at https://ociservices.gov.in Applicants are required to upload all the requisite documents (self attested), photograph and signature (in the case of minors who cannot sign, left hand thumb impression) along with the application. Further, every person, including a minor, eligible to be registered as Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder under Section 7A, may submit separate application. In case of a minor, the application from may be signed by either of the parents or by the person to whom the legal custody of the minor has been granted or by the legal guardian of such minor, as the case may be.
After submission of online application, applicant is required to take a print of the copy of the application form with the Online Registration Number. Application form, complete in all respects, along with all relevant enclosures and requisite fee may be submitted to the Embassy
|Fresh OCI card
|KW 364,300 (w.e.f April 01,2023)
|Re-issuance of OCI
|KW 36,800 (w.e.f April 01,2023)
|conversion of PIO to OCI
|KW 135,100 (w.e.f April 01,2023)
|issuance of Duplicate OCI in lieu of loss/damage
|KW 135,100 (w.e.f April 01,2023)
Benefits of OCI-
- A multiple entry, multi-purpose lifelong visa ('U'Visa) for visiting India (however one needs to carry a valid passport along for travel).
- No separate student/Employment/Business visa will be required for admission in colleges/institutions or taking up employment , business, etc in India
- Special counters for speedy immigration clearance at designated Immigration check posts
- Exemption from registration with the local police authorities for any length of stay in India
- Parity with Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields except acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
- OCI registration certificate can be used as identity proof for applying for a (I)PAN Card (II) Driving License (III) Opening of Bank account in India, if the OCI Card holder resides in India.
However, the OCI card holder is not entitled to vote, to be member of a Legislative Assembly or of a Legislative Council or of the Parliament of India and to hold Indian constitutional posts such as that of the President, Vice-President, Judges of the Supreme/High Courts etc. He/She cannot normally hold employment for appointment to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or of any State except for appointment in such services and posts as the Central Government may, by special order, in that behalf specify. Further, the OCI Cardholder cannot acquire agricultural or plantation properties in India.
OCI Miscellaneous Services
· To avail Miscellaneous Service, Applicant must be an existing OCI Card Holder
- In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to update/upload the latest information about his latest passport, Change in address/Occupation/Contact details, the OCI card holder can select the option/(s) as given below and upload the latest photograph and requisite documents. These details shall be updated into the OCI system records and an acknowledgement shall be shared with OCI card holder on his/her registered email ID. The services under these categories are gratis in nature:
1. In case issuance of new Passport Details (each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age)
2. In case change in address/occupation/contact details.
· These Misc services can be availed for re-issuance of OCI Card as well as updating the information time to time as mentioned in the MHA notification dated 16th April, 2021. The re-issuance of new OCI card will be applicable for following categories:
1. In case of issuance of new passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.)
2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, father's name, nationality etc.
3. In case of loss/damage of OCI registration certificate.
- In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to apply for re-issuance of OCI Card, application form, complete in all respects, along with all relevant enclosures and requisite fee may be submitted to the Indian Embassy in Seoul in whose jurisdiction the applicant is ordinarily residing irrespective of the fact whether the same Indian Mission/Post/Office has issued the original OCI documents or not.
- In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to update/upload the latest information about his latest passport, Change in address/Occupation/Contact details, the OCI card holder can select the option/(s) as given below and upload the latest photograph and requisite documents. These details shall be updated into the OCI system records and an acknowledgement shall be shared with OCI card holder on his/her registered email ID. The services under these categories are gratis in nature
"Re-issuance of OCI cards due to Issuance of new foreign passports to OCI cardholders".
i) The timeline for re-issuance of OCI cards in r/o OCI cardholders, who may be required to get their OCI card re-issued has been extended till 31.12.2022
ii) Requirement of carrying old and new Passports along with the OCI card has been done away. Henceforth, the OCI cardholders travelling on the strength of their existing OCI Card bearing old Passport number are not required to carry their old passport. However, carrying of the new passport is mandatory.
(iii) Mandatory requirement of re-issuance of an OCI card each time a new passport is issued to a foreigner upto 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age is dispensed with.
(iv) OCI cardholder is required to get the OCI card re-issued only once when a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.
(v) OCI cardholder is required to upload ONLINE a copy of the new passport and a latest photo each time a new passport is issued upto 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age. The uploading of these documents may be done within three months of receipt of the new passport.
(vi) Foreign Spouse of an Indian Citizen or spouse of foreign origin of an OCI cardholder are required to upload a copy of the new passport and also a latest photo ONLINE each time a new passport is issued along with a declaration on subsisting of marriage, copy of the Indian passport of the Indian spouse/passport & OCI card of the OCI cardholder spouse.